Dive into my mind for tidbits from cooking to raising kids to politics to herbal remedies. My rants, raves, ideas and opinions displayed for the open-minded explorer.

Monday, November 28, 2011

If you don't have something nice to say...

...don't say anything at all!

My mom used to tell me this all the time as a kid. I hope it sunk in. Why does it seem like some people have never learned this useful little saying??

I've recently rubbed shoulders with some folks whose (I swear!) favorite thing to do is nit pick and complain about all the people they know. It's exhausting to be around. Seriously, from what their friends eat for breakfast or bedtime snack to how long of showers they take to what they wear or don't wear to bed. And why do I care about all this? I don't! Sheesh. Tell someone who cares. Actually don't.

You would think that if we choose to be around people, we could at least find something we like about them and share THAT with others. I know I've had my share of negative chit chat about others. I hope that I say at least an equal number of nice things about the people in my acquaintance.

And how, exactly, should I respond to someone who only gossips rudely about others? I've tried my best not to join the conversation but rather make a joke about how I like the same bedtime snack as the people-who-were-not-there-to-defend-themselves, or try to change the subject, or not respond at all. It's difficult.

Anyway, if you have any helpful hints about what to do, what to do (besides avoiding the negative-sayers, which is not always possible to do)....let me know, please.

2 comments:

  1. I have told people that I would like to talk about something else and then bring up a new subject. If that doesn't work, tell them that you don't like to talk about people behind their backs and that you don't want to be involved in the conversation if it is going to continue. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How do these folks know about their friend's bedtime habits? That is weird.

    ReplyDelete